ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF COLLEGE COUNCIL
The College Council operates under a legislative framework within the Victorian government school system. School councils are also regulated by the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2007 and school councillors are subject to the Director’s Code of Conduct made under the Public Administration Act 2004. Please click here for a Parent Fact Sheet about School Council Elections.
The Act lists school council’s objectives as being to:
- assist in the efficient governance of the school
- ensure that its decisions affecting students of the school are made having regard, as a primary consideration, to the best interests of the students
- enhance the educational opportunities of the students of the school
- ensure the school and the council comply with any requirements of the Act, the regulations, a Ministerial Order or a direction, guideline or policy issued under the Act
School councils have three main responsibilities:
1. Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation
2. Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan. Please click on the following links for the current Strategic Plan and Annual Implementation Plan.
3. Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan
Other key functions of school councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- operating a children’s service at the school.
- Camps / Excursions
- Education and Policy
- Bright College Snow Sports Team
- Indigenous Education
- Parents & Friends
- Primary Playground
If you would like to get involved or if you have any questions about College Council, please contact our Council President, Peter Mack on Peter.Mack@education.vic.gov.au or speak to the School Office.